Mental health refers to cognitive, behavioral, and emotional wellbeing. This condition can affect daily life, relationships, and even physical health.
The most frequent types of mental illness are anxiety disorders, mood disorders, and schizophrenia disorders.
Examples of anxiety disorders include:
- Panic disorder where the person experiences sudden paralyzing terror or a sense of imminent disaster.
- Phobias may include simple phobias (a disproportionate fear of objects), social phobias (fear of being subject to the judgment of others), and agoraphobia (dread of situations where getting away or breaking free may be difficult)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) refers to constant stressful thoughts (obsessions), and powerful urge to perform repetitive acts, such as hand washing (compulsion).
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
These are also referred to as affective disorders or depressive disorders. Individuals with these conditions have considerable changes in mood, generally involving either mania (elation) or depression. Examples of mood disorders include:
- Major depression
- Bipolar disorder
- Persistent depressive disorder
- SAD (seasonal affective disorder)
Early warning signs of mental health problems include
- Excessive eating or sleeping
- Distancing from people and usual activities
- Having a low level of energy
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling helpless
- Severe mood swings
- Trying to harm yourself or others
Treatments can include:
This is a psychological approach for managing mental illness. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), exposure therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy are some of the examples of psychotherapy
Therapy using medication can help improve the symptoms of mental disorders
Mental health difficulties like anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder might lead to substance abuse problems and, on the contrary, using substances can deteriorate mental health conditions in some people. Self help Includes lifestyle changes such as reduced alcohol intake, adequate sleep and eating a balanced diet can provide added assistance in mental disorders.